AVATON, TEXAS. Avaton was on Little Cypress Bayou nine miles from Longview and twenty miles west of Marshall in western Harrison County. It had a post office from 1884 to 1902. In 1896 the community had a cotton gin and gristmill, a district school, and Methodist and Baptist congregations. Avaton was gone by the 1940s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "AVATON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva46), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles