BACHMAN, TEXAS. Bachman was on Bachman Branch at a site now adjacent to Bachman Lake on Loop 12, U.S. Interstate 35, and State Highway 354, at the northern edge of Love Field in central Dallas County. It was located at the intersections of the original land grants of Miles Bennett and Dickerson Parker. The area was settled and named for the John B. and William F. Bachman families, who settled in 1845 on Brownings Branch, a tributary of the Trinity River. The creek was later renamed Bachman Branch in their honor. According to some sources the first camp meeting held in Dallas County in 1845 was near the Missouri, Kansas and Texas crossing of the stream. The area is now the site of Bachman Lake, dammed in 1903, and Bachman Park, a family recreation facility.
Sam Hanna Acheson, Dallas Yesterday, ed. Lee Milazzo (Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press, 1977). William L. McDonald, Dallas Rediscovered: A Photographic Chronicle of Urban Expansion, 1870–1925 (Dallas: Dallas County Historical Society, 1978). Fred Tarpley, Place Names of Northeast Texas (Commerce: East Texas State University, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "BACHMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb02), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles