BANNISTER, TEXAS. Bannister is at the intersection of a country road and State Highway 147 by Bannister Lake, thirteen miles southwest of San Augustine in southwestern San Augustine County. It grew up as a shipping point on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway in the 1890s and was granted a post office in 1914. In 1925 Bannister had fifty inhabitants, and in 1933 it had a business. The post office closed in 1925, the railroad was abandoned in the early 1930s, and by the 1940s Bannister was deserted, though the site was still marked as a triangulation point on state highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BANNISTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb08), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.