BETHEL, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
BETHEL, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Bethel, also known as Askew, eleven miles southeast of Sulphur Springs and two miles west of Farm Road 269 in southeastern Hopkins County, was settled in 1853 by R. E. Matthews and John and R. S. Askew. In 1860 John Askew gave land for a church that continued to be used until 1948. A post office under the name Askew operated in Mary Harden's store from 1901 to 1906, when the store closed. A local school was conducted after the turn of the century and in 1905 had an enrollment of thirty-one. In the mid-1930s the community comprised a church, a school, and a few scattered dwellings. By the early 1950s the church and school had closed. In the early 1960s the area was known as Bethel. In the late 1980s the site was marked only by Bethel Church.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "BETHEL, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb52), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.