BOWSER BEND, TX
BOWSER BEND, TEXAS. Bowser Bend was in a bend of the Colorado River twenty-four miles northwest of San Saba in northwestern San Saba County. The community, founded about 1875, developed around a gin owned by James Monroe Locker and a store managed by his sons. A post office, named in honor of A. Bowser, was established there in 1887 by Simeon Whitted in his home. In the late 1880s a fire destroyed the Bowser school. It was soon rebuilt, this time on higher ground to avoid the floods that occasionally struck the community. By 1892 Bowser Bend had a population of 150 and a general store, a mill-gin, a physician, a justice, and a constable. In 1893 its post office was discontinued. After the local gin was moved, Bowser Bend residents began to move to nearby Bowser. A church and various school buildings remained at the townsite in the 1980s, when the school, then the focus of a restoration project, served as headquarters for an annual summer homecoming celebration.
San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "BOWSER BEND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb86), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.