BULAH, TEXAS. Bulah, on Farm Road 23 eight miles southwest of Rusk in southwestern Cherokee County, was established before 1900. In 1940 the predominantly black community had a population of twenty-five, a store, and a union church and school. Most of the residents subsequently moved out of the area, but in the late 1980s a school and a few houses were still there. In the year 2000 the schoolhouse was used for family reunions.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "BULAH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbah), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.