BADGETT, TEXAS. Badgett, located on Farm Road 1212 in south central Martin County, was named for the R. A. Badgett family, who moved to the area from Mitchell County. Reported dates for the founding of the school district range from 1916 to 1926. The original school, which had two rooms and two teachers, was consolidated with the Courtney school in the late 1940s. Badgett no longer exists as a community.
Vernen Liles, Pioneering on the Plains: The History of Martin County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1953). Martin County Historical Commission, Martin County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "BADGETT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbaz), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.