BIG SQUARE, TX
BIG SQUARE, TEXAS. Big Square is on Farm Road 145 fifteen miles southwest of Dimmitt in southwestern Castro County. It was settled in 1908 by the M. L. Stiles family, who moved to the area from Iowa. The Will Wyler family came the next year. The community had a post office from 1910 to 1920. Stiles built the first schoolhouse, which was replaced in 1920 by a two-room brick structure. A larger school was opened in 1939, and in 1945 the school district was merged with the schools of Springlake and Dimmitt. Big Square acquired its name from the large, two-story houses built by various members of the Stiles family.
Castro County Historical Commission, Castro County, 1891–1981 (Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "BIG SQUARE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbcl), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.