CLIFF, TEXAS. Cliff, named for the rocky cliffs at nearby San Geronimo Creek, is on Farm Road 471 eighteen miles northeast of Castroville in northeast Medina County. The farming community was granted a post office in 1910 with Manuel Schuchart as postmaster. By 1914 Cliff had a post office, two general stores, and a school located on the north bank of San Geronimo Creek. Former students recalled that the sandy soil where the school was located would pack so hard that they could play tennis on it. The school had an enrollment of twenty in 1907. In 1926 a new school was built a mile south of the first and operated by the Maverick school district. In 1933 Cliff had a population of fifty and two businesses. In the mid-1940s the Maverick school district was consolidated with that of Medina Valley; by this time Cliff's general store had been abandoned. In the 1980s Cliff had a number of scattered dwellings along Farm Road 471, and a community hall occupied the former site of the Maverick school.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "CLIFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc57), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles