CREWS, TX (GREGG COUNTY)
CREWS, TEXAS (Gregg County). Crews was also known as Swamp City, probably because of its location near the swamps of the Sabine River in Gregg County. It was named for Dr. C. C. Crews, a dentist in Longview and the donor of the land on which the Crews Baptist Church was built. The town was founded by 1931, when its population was reported as 300; its population had decreased to fifty by 1966. Oil provided the main industry and occupation of the inhabitants. The community was no longer shown on the 1984 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CREWS, TX (GREGG COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc87), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles