CRABAPPLE, TEXAS. Crabapple is on Crabapple Creek about 10½ miles north of Fredericksburg in northern Gillespie County. The area was originally settled sometime in the mid-1800s by Friedrich Wellgehausen, Jacob Land, Adam Pehl, Mathias Schmidt, Nicolas Rusche, James Riley, Heinrich Keese, and Jacob and Adam Fries. Most of these early settlers were of German origin. A school had been established in Crabapple by 1867, and during the 1880s a Lutheran congregation was founded. In 1897 St. John's Lutheran Church was built there. The Crabapple post office operated from 1894 to 1910. Maps dating from the 1960s showed a school, a church, and several cemeteries at Crabapple. No population was reported for the community in 2000.
Don Hampton Biggers, German Pioneers in Texas (Fredericksburg, Texas: Fredericksburg Publishing, 1925). Ella Amanda Gold, The History of Education in Gillespie County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1945).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "CRABAPPLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcae), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.