CONE, TX (MILAM COUNTY)
CONE, TEXAS (Milam County). Cone was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway ten miles southeast of Cameron in central Milam County. It was named for Robert Newton Cone, who moved to the area from Alabama after the Civil War. The community had a post office from 1884 to 1886 and a one-teacher school for twenty-two students as late as 1903. The Cone school was consolidated with the Hoyte school district in 1918. By the 1940s no evidence of Cone was shown on the county highway map.
Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CONE, TX (MILAM COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcbe), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles