DOVE, TEXAS. Dove, just east of State Highway 114 in northeastern Tarrant County, was established during the 1870s. It developed as a loosely organized agricultural community surrounded by dairy and poultry farms. A post office operated there from 1894 to 1904. The community school registered ninety-seven students and employed one teacher during the 1896–97 term. A townsite reportedly was surveyed about 1900, but Dove was not developed further. Its school enrolled eighty-eight students during the 1905–06 term. A 1936 map shows a church, several farms, and a nearby school at the site. What was left of the settlement eventually became part of Southlake.
Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "DOVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd35), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.