DRUMMOND, TEXAS. Drummond was just west of the Brazos River and three miles southwest of the site of present Newcastle in west central Young County. The settlement evolved in the late nineteenth century across the river from the now-abandoned Belknap community and was named after the pioneer Drummond family, who owned a 5,000-acre local ranch. A post office was established in Drummond in 1895 with Virgil E. Curtis as postmaster; mail service was moved to Graham in 1909.
Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956). Jim Wheat, Postmasters and Post Offices of Texas, 1846–1930 (Microfilm, Grover C. Ramsey Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "DRUMMOND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd53), accessed August 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.