ELSTONE, TEXAS. Elstone was near Hondo Creek eight miles southeast of Hondo in south central Medina County. It was probably named after former resident Sarah Elstone Mercereau, a descendant of the Duke of Marlborough, although some believe that Elstone referred to the rocky hilltop bend of the community's main thoroughfare, which formed a perfect L. Elstone had a post office from 1910 until 1917, when mail was routed to Hondo. By 1914 Elstone had a population of fifty, a general store, telephone connections, and a cotton gin, which served the farming community well into the 1920s, when boll weevil infestations devastated area cotton fields. Though there may have been a business at the site as late as 1931, by 1936 Elstone appears to have been abandoned.
Castro Colonies Heritage Association, The History of Medina County, Texas (Dallas: National Share Graphics, 1983). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "ELSTONE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hve25), accessed July 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.