FERNS, TEXAS. Ferns, beside Caddo Lake twelve miles northeast of Marshall and eight miles north of Scottsville in northeastern Harrison County, was founded before 1888, when a post office was opened there. The settlement had twenty-five inhabitants, two general stores, and five cotton gins in 1890. By 1896 it had grown to fifty residents and had a voting box and Methodist and Baptist churches. The Ferns school served twenty-eight students in 1897. The community's post office was moved to Hailey in 1900. Ferns was not shown on county highway maps by 1948.
Jerome McCown, Scraps of the Early History of Marshall and Harrison County (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "FERNS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf86), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.