GEORGETOWN, TX (GRAYSON COUNTY)
GEORGETOWN, TEXAS (Grayson County). Georgetown was near the Red River four miles north of what is now the site of Pottsboro in north central Grayson County. The community was probably named for George Ivy, who owned the land where Fort Johnsonqv was located in 1840. As other communities developed nearby and Fort Johnson was vacated, the Georgetown residents left, and the community dissolved.
Mattie D. Lucas and Mita H. Hall, A History of Grayson County (Sherman, Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "GEORGETOWN, TX (GRAYSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg14), accessed June 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.