GRAVIS, TX (DUVAL COUNTY)
GRAVIS, TEXAS (Duval County). Gravis was on the Texas-Mexican Railway eight miles southwest of San Diego in east central Duval County. The town was named for Frank Cooley Gravis, a former King Ranch cowhand who brought 15,000 sheep to Duval County in the late 1800s and established his ranch headquarters at the townsite, which is on Narciseno Creek between San Diego and Benavides. In 1947, the last year for which population statistics were available, Gravis was reported with twenty-five residents. The town was not shown on maps made in the late 1960s.
Dorothy Abbott McCoy, Oil, Mud, and Guts (Brownsville, Texas, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "GRAVIS, TX (DUVAL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg42), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.