GUILFORD, TEXAS. Guilford was in north central DeWitt County. It was named for Mrs. Guilford Whitsett Wofford, whose husband, Charles Wofford, operated the local store and donated land for a school in 1898. The settlement had a gin, and a Guilford post office operated from 1903 to 1905. The Clear Creek Methodist Church, four miles from the school, was active from 1885 to about 1935. The Guilford school was consolidated with the Lindenau school in 1942. Guilford was not labeled on the 1948 county highway map.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "GUILFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg59), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles