HUNTLEY, TEXAS. Huntley (Huntly) was on the Sabine River at the site that is now Orange, thirty miles east of Beaumont in Orange County. In May 1840 Thomas S. McFarland noted that a town named for Memucan Hunt, a member of the joint United States-Texas boundary commission, was being laid out at the site. The commission's report and maps also mention Huntley, but subsequent accounts refer to the area as Green's Bluff, Madison, or Orange.
Frederick Charles Chabot, ed., McFarland Journal (Yanaguana Society Publications 8, San Antonio, 1942). Madeleine Martin, "Ghost Towns of the Lower Sabine River," Texas Gulf Historical and Biographical Record 2 (1966). Texas Surveyors Association Historical Committee, Three Dollars Per Mile: Accounts of Early Surveying in Texas (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "HUNTLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhav), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.