HITSON, TEXAS. Hitson (formerly Hittson) is on State Highway 92 four miles west of Hamlin in northeastern Fisher County. The area was first settled in 1870 by ranchers John and William Hittson. The town was granted a post office in 1886 and had an estimated twenty-five inhabitants by 1890. A school was opened in the community in 1889, and by 1896 Hitson had a Methodist church and a general store. The post office closed in 1906. In 1940 Hitson had a school, a church, three businesses, and scattered dwellings. Hitson school was consolidated with that of Hamlin in 1947, and by the 1980s all that remained in the community were a few homes and a cemetery.
Fisher County Historical Commission, History of Fisher County, Texas (Rotan, Texas: Shelton, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Becky Adams, "HITSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhmk), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.