IDLEWILDE, TEXAS. Idlewilde was on the Medina River off U.S. Highway 90, twenty miles west of downtown San Antonio in western Bexar County. It was named for a town in New York by Thomas Donkin (or Dunkin), who arrived from New York in 1879. During that year Donkin interested community residents in building a school, and he became its first teacher. The one-teacher elementary school became known as Delta School. A post office operated at the community from 1887 to 1902 and briefly in 1908. In the 1930s Idlewilde had a flag station, a school, and a few houses, but by the 1950s the settlement was no longer shown on maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lula Lee McMeans, "IDLEWILDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvi03), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.