IMPERIAL, TEXAS (Fort Bend County). Imperial, a shipping point on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, was owned by the Imperial Sugar Company and located on the grounds of the Central State Prison Farm in Fort Bend County. Sugar Land served as post office and home for the employees of the facility. Imperial apparently remained a rail station and did not achieve town status. It may have had a post office in 1908, but it was discontinued within a short time.
William R. Johnson, "A Short History of the Sugar Industry," Texas Gulf Coast Historical Association Publication Series 5.1 (April 1961).
Stephen L. Hardin
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.