LIBERTY HILL, TX (SAN JACINTO COUNTY)
LIBERTY HILL, TEXAS (San Jacinto County). Liberty Hill is on Farm Road 2025 sixty miles north of Houston in central San Jacinto County. Ira Buckalew and his two sons, who entered the region from Louisiana sometime before 1884, were the first recorded permanent settlers of the area. Mrs. R. G. West, the wife of another early settler, suggested that the small community be named Liberty Hill at the time the local church was organized in 1897. Although most business was done at Coldspring or Cleveland, the presence of numerous tram railroad lines throughout the Liberty Hill area, in addition to the Foster Lumber Company's ownership or leasing of extensive tracts of land, suggests that the region was once important in the East Texas logging industry. A church and cemetery remain, and gravel pits and oil wells to the north of Liberty Hill reflect continued economic activity.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "LIBERTY HILL, TX (SAN JACINTO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl51), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.