LITTLE MISSISSIPPI, TX
LITTLE MISSISSIPPI, TEXAS. Little Mississippi was just off Farm Road 979 near Owensville in central Robertson County. The area was first settled in the 1830s by southern cotton farmers, mostly not slave owners, who had fled the economic hard times back in the United States. Residents attended church and school at nearby Mount Vernon. The establishment of Owensville, then Calvert, and, finally, Franklin, served to draw the population away from Little Mississippi, as did the railroads that bypassed it in the late 1800s. By 1900 little remained of the community.
J. W. Baker, History of Robertson County, Texas (Franklin, Texas: Robertson County Historical Survey Committee, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "LITTLE MISSISSIPPI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl92), accessed October 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.