LYRIC, TEXAS. Lyric was 3½ miles south of the route of present-day State Highway 321, ten miles east of Cleveland in north central Liberty County. It was the site of a Kirby Lumber Company logging camp. The post office was established in 1908 with Clopton Miles as postmaster. White, black, and Japanese workers were segregated in three tent cities. A hotel, operated by John Hamblen, and assorted company stores and offices also marked the camp. The post office, discontinued in 1911, was reopened in 1917, only to be closed again in 1920 as logging operations ended. A few foundations, nails, and bottles are all that remain of the former camp at Lyric.
Barbara Smith, "Liberty County Ghost Town: Lyric" Cleveland Area Pioneer, June 1978.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "LYRIC, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvlac), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.