LAYTONIA, TEXAS. Laytonia, in south central Brazoria County, was developed by the Laytonia Land Company on the Brazos River between Freeport and West Columbia. The Brazos Beef Packing Company, which operated from 1876 to 1879, also served as a local distributor for cord wood, oysters, gloves, quinine, rope, and other products. A post office operated from 1876 until 1878. In 1906 the local school had a teacher and twenty-eight black pupils. In 1990 the community was a small residential settlement on the river.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LAYTONIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvllm), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.