MANCHESTER, TX (HARRIS COUNTY)
MANCHESTER, TEXAS (Harris County). Manchester is just east of the Interstate 610 loop on the Houston Ship Channel at the eastern edge of Houston one mile northwest of Pasadena in east central Harris County. The community began in the early 1860s as a switch on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad within the Houston city limits. In the fall of 1914 Joseph R. Cheek and associates offered twenty acres of land with 1,500 feet of channel frontage at Manchester if the city would agree to build a wharf there. The mayor accepted the offer, but the city harbor board protested that Manchester was outside city tax boundaries. Joseph S. Cullinan and other oil men supported the mayor and urged channel development from Houston to Morgan's Point, but a 1920 bond issue approving the purchase of more land at Manchester was defeated. After 1920 the Manchester Terminal Corporation built a ship terminal to handle cotton, and in the 1930s the terminal's interests were represented by R. M. (Daddy) Bain. By the 1970s the area was industrial. In the 1980s Manchester had a predominantly Hispanic population and comprised an area of multiple dwellings, Hartmann Park, and industrial development along the ship channel.
Thomas H. Kreneck, Del Pueblo: A Pictorial History of Houston's Hispanic Community (Houston: Houston International University, 1989). Marilyn M. Sibley, The Port of Houston (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "MANCHESTER, TX (HARRIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm20), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles