MAURIN, TEXAS. The Gonzales County community of Maurin, named for a French stonemason who lived in the settlement, was probably established in 1889 as a station on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway halfway between Gonzales and Dilworth. The village acquired a post office in 1900, but it closed in 1915. The year before, an F. Maurin, Jr., was the postmaster and also operated a general store. By 1915 Maurin had a general store, a telephone connection, and a population of twenty. In 1931 it had two businesses in addition to the rail station. In 1932 the railroad was abandoned. That year Maurin listed forty inhabitants. That figure remained constant until 1948, although by 1945 one of the businesses had closed. By 1949 population figures had become unavailable, and in 1965 Maurin was no longer identified on county highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "MAURIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm50), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.