MAZATLAN, TEXAS. Mazatlan, also known as Ella, was on Jaboncillos Creek eighteen miles south of San Diego and ten miles southeast of Benavides in east central Duval County. The town was named after the Mexican city. The Olmos School in Mazatlan had thirty-two pupils during the 1906–07 school year, and the first post office in Mazatlan was established in 1909, when Santos Gonzalez was postmaster. In 1914 the population of Mazatlan was estimated at 200, but the post office closed two years later. A post office operated again from 1925 to 1930. In 1947 Mazatlan had a few scattered dwellings, a church, and the Olmos School, which closed in 1957. Mazatlan was not shown on a 1968 map of the area, though there were a few buildings still at the site. A 1990 map showed Santo Niño Cemetery as all that remained of Mazatlan.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.