MONTVILLE, TEXAS. Montville was a community in northwestern Washington County. In 1836 Lydia A. McHenry and Mrs. David Ayres began one of the earliest Anglo-American schools in Texas at Montville; it was a girls' boarding school and boys' day school that operated until 1837. Asa Mitchell, one of the Old Three Hundred,qqv was a Montville resident. In 1840 the community had a Republic of Texas post office. A United States post office opened at Montville on May 22, 1846; it was moved in February 1851 to Long Point.
Frederick Eby, Education in Texas: Source Materials (Austin: University of Texas, 1918). M. M. Kenny, "Recollections of Early Schools," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (April 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "MONTVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmce), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.