MILL CREEK, TX (GUADALUPE COUNTY)
MILL CREEK, TEXAS (Guadalupe County). Mill Creek grew up in the 1850s on the banks of Mill Creek eight miles east of Seguin in eastern Guadalupe County. The McClaugherty, Douglass, and Lillard families were among the first in the area. Mill Creek School opened in 1854; a church and Sunday school were established in 1856. A post office opened in 1891 near the mouth of the creek. When the name of the post office was changed to Acona in 1895, the community developed a dual identity: Mill Creek for residents on the upper part of the creek, and Acona for residents near the mouth. The post office closed in 1903. Mill Creek had two one-teacher schools for sixty area students in 1904. The church burned in 1915 and was not rebuilt. When the school closed in 1922, the remaining students transferred to Seguin, Eden, or Green Valley. The school building was used as a church from 1923 until it burned in 1930. There was no evidence of the community on county highway maps by the 1940s.
Josephine S. Etlinger, Sweetest You Can Find: Life in Eastern Guadalupe County, Texas, 1851–1951 (San Antonio: Watercress, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MILL CREEK, TX (GUADALUPE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmcg), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.