NEW COLUMBIA, TX
NEW COLUMBIA, TEXAS. New Columbia was on the Sabine River eight miles east of Burkeville and seventy-five miles northeast of Beaumont in eastern Newton County. It was laid out in the early days of the Republic of Texas and became a thriving riverport town, with a store, several warehouses and homes, a gin, and a racetrack. Accounts in 1865 describe the Sabine River crossing at New Columbia as good. The pine forests, however, made agriculture difficult, and New Columbia struggled until the rapid expansion of the East Texas lumber industry at the turn of the twentieth century.
By the end of the first decade of the 1900s the brothers J. Polk and A. A. (Jack) McMahon had organized the McMahon Handle Company at New Columbia. J. Polk, aged thirty-three in 1910, had been Newton county treasurer; Jack, three years younger, was a real estate agent. The McMahons sent handles by mule to Rosepine, Louisiana, a stop for the Kansas City Southern Railroad. They also produced railroad ties, which they floated down the Sabine River to Bon Wier. Though most of the unskilled labor force came from the surrounding area, the skilled workers had to be imported, and an old plantation home was turned into a hotel. Kerrdale, the local post office three miles west across steep hills at Spear's Chapel, proved inconvenient for New Columbia. The McMahon brothers persuaded the postmaster at Spears Chapel, J. J. Kerr, to liquidate the stock of his general store and move to New Columbia to become their store manager.
Finding the name New Columbia unavailable for their use, the McMahons called the new office Jack's, after A. A.'s nickname. However, the New Columbia mill closed by 1915, and the post office ceased operation shortly thereafter. The lack of direct access to a railroad, along with a general decline of lumbermills in Newton County, probably combined to seal the community's fate. A few families remain at Spears Chapel, a short distance west of the former riverport of New Columbia.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robert Wooster, "New Columbia, TX," accessed May 31, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn19.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles