NEW HOPE, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)
NEW HOPE, TEXAS (Dallas County). The site of New Hope was within what later became the city limits of Sunnyvale, near Belt Line Road and Towneast Boulevard four miles north of Mesquite in eastern Dallas County. The community was located at the junction of the land grants of J. S. Phelps, J. Johnson, H. J. Webb, and the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railway Company. New Hope was sparsely settled until well after the Civil War because the Texas and Pacific Railway bypassed it and went through Mesquite (1873). A community began to grow around T. P. Tinsley's general store in 1885, and in 1886 a post office was established in New Hope. Both Tinsley and Frank Ellis, the postmaster, are credited with naming New Hope in the late 1880s. By the early 1900s New Hope had a population of 214, four churches, four stores, two blacksmith shops, a bank, a cotton gin, and a school. In 1905 the New Hope News was published there.
In the first half of the twentieth century New Hope declined. In 1919 a fire destroyed some of the businesses, and by 1935 more were gone. The community's population had dropped to 100 by 1933 and to fifty by 1949. In the late 1940s another fire destroyed half of the New Hope business district. In 1946 Frank Ellis sold his store to D. M. Lander, Jr.
In 1953 New Hope was included in the northern part of the incorporated area of Sunnyvale. At that time New Hope had a school, a church, several stores, and a population of fifty. By 1965 the population had increased to 250. In that year the buildings of the old New Hope area on Beltline Road served as part of Sunnyvale's Main Street, and the old schoolhouse served as the Sunnyvale town hall. By 1982 the schoolhouse was being used as the Sunnyvale library. A number of New Hope's other buildings are examples of Victorian farm houses typical of rural Texas. Within the old site are Pleasant Ridge Cemetery and Samuell New Hope Park.
Dallas Journal, May 2, 1935. Dallas Times Herald, April 14, 1965. Daniel Hardy, Dallas County Historic Resource Survey (Dallas: Dallas County Historical Commission, 1982). David S. Switzer, It's Our Dallas County (Dallas: Switzer, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "NEW HOPE, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn23), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.