OAK SHADE, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)
OAK SHADE, TEXAS (Liberty County). Oak Shade is in northern Liberty County just south of Farm Road 787, about fifty-three miles northeast of Houston. The community was established before the Civil War, with a school opening in 1857 and the Rev. Austin Ellis serving as first pastor for the Oak Shade church. By 1860 the community had moved a half mile north of its original location. The development of the Rural Shade Baptist Church three miles south of Oak Shade in 1870 led to a split in the community, although the original church structure was revamped in 1881. Scattered rural residences remained during the twentieth century, and a Texas Historical Commission marker was secured for the Oak Shade church in 1980.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "OAK SHADE, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvo47), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.