PANSY, TX (CROSBY COUNTY)
PANSY, TEXAS (Crosby County). Pansy was originally twelve miles south of the settlement of Mount Blanco on one of the Two Buckle Ranchqv lakes in eastern Crosby County, five miles east of Crosbyton. The settlement was named Pansy Mills by H. S. Shives, one of the earliest settlers in the county, for the flower and two nearby windmills. A post office was established on June 15, 1894, with Shives as postmaster and continued until April 3, 1896. The community was located on property owned by the Kentucky Land and Cattle Company, which had a ranch camp nearby. The Pansy school district was established around 1893. By 1927 it was one of seven districts in the county; that year it had a student enrollment of thirty-six. The school served the area until it was consolidated with the McAdoo school on May 11, 1936. The Pansy Baptist Church was built by September 13, 1905, and a parsonage was later added. Although the church was damaged by fire in 1965, services continued to be held in the mid-1980s.
Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978). Nellie Witt Spikes and Temple Ann Ellis, Through the Years: A History of Crosby County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "PANSY, TX (CROSBY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp09), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.