PLEASANT GROVE, TX (LEE COUNTY)
PLEASANT GROVE, TEXAS (Lee County). Pleasant Grove is a farming community in northwestern Lee County two miles southeast of Tanglewood. The town was originally named Brown's Gin after J. J. Brown, who operated a cotton gin and grocery store there in the mid-1870s. In 1883 residents built a Baptist church in a grove of oak trees and adopted the present name. The church building also served as a school; it had an enrollment of fifty in 1898. After the turn of the century a small business center developed a mile west of the church and school. Around 1920 a new two-room schoolhouse was constructed, and it continued to operate until the school was annexed by the Lexington Independent School District after World War II. In 1930 the town had a population of 170, the school, several businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. By the late 1960s the population had dropped to around fifty. In the early 1980s Pleasant Grove was a dispersed rural community.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PLEASANT GROVE, TX (LEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp61), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles