POER, TEXAS. Poer, a rural community of central Bowie County, was settled during the 1830s around the Poer plantation. A post office named for John F. Poer operated from 1897 until 1904. The school was consolidated with the one at Maud in 1900. By 1984 Poer had ceased to exist as a named community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "POER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp66), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.