POND SPRINGS, TX
POND SPRINGS, TEXAS. Pond Springs (Pond Spring) was at the intersection of present Farm Road 620 and U.S. Highway 183, on Live Oak Prairie nine miles southwest of Round Rock in southwest Williamson County. It was settled in the early 1850s and named for a nearby spring that formed a pond. A log schoolhouse was already on the site when, around 1854, the Rutledge family opened a store-post office and a blacksmith shop. A road and stage line ran past Rutledge's store, and the community was sometimes called Rutledge. The Pond Springs post office operated until 1880. In 1882 the Austin and Northwestern Railroad bypassed the settlement, and a new community, called Rutledge or New Rutledge, was established to the northeast. The Pond Springs log school was moved to nearby Jollyville; in 1988 there was still a Pond Springs School in the area. Pond Springs disappeared after 1882. In the 1980s a Pond Springs housing development was started near the site of the old community. It was listed as a community in 1990.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "POND SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvpam), accessed June 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.