RALEIGH, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)
RALEIGH, TEXAS (Navarro County). Raleigh is at the intersection of Farm roads 667 and 744, in northwest Navarro County. Its first settlers were the Meredith clan, who came from Mississippi in 1873; like others they were fleeing the devastated South after the Civil War. A Raleigh post office was established in 1900 but was moved to Frost in 1904. In 1906 Raleigh had one school with thirty-nine students and one teacher. During the 1930s the settlement had a church, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. From 1933 to 1969 Raleigh reported a population of twenty. The community appeared on later highway maps and was still listed in 1990.
Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Molly McKee, "RALEIGH, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr08), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.