RATLER, TEXAS. Ratler, which may also have been known as Jones Valley, was a farm community eleven miles southwest of Goldthwaite on the Colorado River in Mills County. A post office was established in 1892. By 1915 the community had two stores, a cotton gin, a gristmill, a school, and a population of thirty-five. The Willis mill and vineyards also produced wine. After 1915 the town quickly declined. The school was consolidated with Goldthwaite schools, and the post office closed in 1929. In 1990 Ratler was not listed on maps.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Flora Gatlin Bowles, A No Man's Land Becomes a County (Austin: Steck, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John G. Johnson, "RATLER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr12), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.