RUSSELL, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
RUSSELL, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). Russell, twelve miles northwest of Canton in northwest Van Zandt County, was a switch on the Texas and Pacific Railway and later the site of an abandoned railroad station. The town was named for Eric Russell, who owned the site. The Memorial Methodist Church, founded in 1875, was destroyed by a tornado and rebuilt in 1890. A population of ten recorded in 1930 had postal service from Wills Point, but by 1936 only scattered dwellings remained. Subsequent state highway maps no longer listed the community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "RUSSELL, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr77), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.