SAN JACINTO HEIGHTS
SAN JACINTO HEIGHTS. San Jacinto Heights was developed by the Amarillo Improvement Company in 1909 as a residence addition to west Amarillo. Mark Logan was president, and William W. Lynch was secretary of the firm. The development was one mile west of the original Amarillo townsite. N. A. Brown established the Amarillo Traction Company in 1910 to provide trolley service between the Heights and the city. The company later merged with the Amarillo Streetcar Company and operated until 1926. For a time San Jacinto Heights had a newspaper, the Amarillo Booster, begun in 1925 by Forest Warren of Atchison, Kansas, and later sold to Ida M. Farrell and Mildred Nation, who moved the enterprise to Canyon. Although the boundaries of Amarillo included Amarillo Heights as early as 1925, the development was not annexed until 1940.
Della Tyler Key, In the Cattle Country: History of Potter County, 1887–1966 (Amarillo: Tyler-Berkley, 1961; 2d ed., Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "SAN JACINTO HEIGHTS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs18), accessed October 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.