SAND FLAT, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
SAND FLAT, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). Sand Flat, a crossroads church community on Farm roads 857 and 1255, fourteen miles northeast of Canton in northeastern Van Zandt County, was named for its location on level sandy land. In 1936 it had twenty-five residents, two churches, two businesses, a school, and a number of dwellings. The Padgett Cemetery was a mile away on Farm Road 857. A 1965 highway map showed two churches and a cemetery at the site, but by 1981 only the cemetery and scattered dwellings remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SAND FLAT, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs26), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.