SANDY CREEK, TX
SANDY CREEK, TEXAS. Sandy Creek, a rural community near U.S. Highway 79 four miles west of Milano in southeastern Milam County, was named after a nearby stream. In 1869 the Sandy Creek Baptist Church acquired land in the José Leal survey. Sandy Creek became a voting precinct in 1892, and in 1903 the community had a two-teacher school with sixty-two students. The school was consolidated with the Milano Independent School District in 1931. A church and a cemetery marked the location of Sandy Creek on the 1988 county highway map.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SANDY CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs30), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles