SCIENCE HALL, TX (HAYS COUNTY)
SCIENCE HALL, TEXAS (Hays County). The site of Science Hall, on a hill between Kyle and Buda thirteen miles northeast of San Marcos in Hays County, was settled by the Andrews and Goforth families in 1871. Later that year a community-supported school opened and was named Science Hall. The settlement soon took the school's name. A public school, Science Hall Home Institute, opened in 1876 with thirty students. In 1885 Mrs. Willie A. Andrews opened a girls' boarding school, known as the Science Hall Home Institute, in her home. In the early 1890s the town supported a short-lived post office, a cotton gin, a store, and a blacksmith. There has been no recorded community center at Science Hall in the twentieth century.
Mary Starr Barkley, A History of Central Texas (Austin: Austin Printing, 1970). Dudley Richard Dobie, A Brief History of Hays County and San Marcos, Texas (San Marcos, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Daniel P. Greene, "SCIENCE HALL, TX (HAYS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs57), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.