SHADY GROVE, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Dallas County). Shady Grove is between State Highway 183 and Interstate Highway 30 west of Belt Line Road and about ten miles west of downtown Dallas in western Dallas County. In the early 1990s Shady Grove was on the boundary between Grand Prairie and Irving. It was named by early settlers for the local groves of oak trees. In 1933 the Shady Grove community had one business and a population of twenty. By 1947, the last year for which population figures are available, it reported two businesses and a population of fifty. In 1964 the Shady Grove school, located within the city limits of Grand Prairie, was the last common school in the county. The school offered instruction through the eighth grade to white students in the Bear Creek area. In 1964 the local school employed ten teachers and had an enrollment of 307. White secondary students attended school in Irving, and black students from Shady Grove all attended school in Grand Prairie. Tuition for the black students was paid by Irving. In 1964 several residents of Shady Grove tried unsuccessfully to have the common school district abolished and the school transferred to Irving. Shady Grove was annexed by Grand Prairie in 1968. In May 1969 Irving attempted to annex Shady Grove but was thwarted by the Dallas County school board, which refused to approve a change in the school boundaries. In 1972 fifty Shady Grove residents petitioned to have their community disannexed by Grand Prairie, on the grounds that Grand Prairie was not adequately addressing community needs. At the time, Grand Prairie had just begun construction on a four-lane street between the two communities and was preparing to build water and sewer lines in Shady Grove. Soon after receipt of the petition, the mayor announced that the city council would call for a bond election to finance the construction of a park in the community. In the mid-1980s residents were still complaining about inadequate provision of services. In addition, the fact that the boundary between Grand Prairie and Irving lay 200 feet west of Belt Line Road sometimes caused confusion over which city had jurisdiction when emergency situations developed. In 1985 Grand Prairie and Irving established a joint committee to discuss such issues as zoning and the provision of public services in the Shady Grove area.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Lisa C. Maxwell, "Shady Grove, TX (Dallas County)," accessed January 24, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs71.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.