SIMONDS, TEXAS. Simonds (Simmons) was on the Texas Trunk Railroad at a site now in the city limits of Seagoville sixteen miles southeast of Dallas in southeastern Dallas County. The settlement, on the original land grant of Harman Hider, was established as a station on the railroad in 1881 when it was completed through the area. The community had a post office from 1884 until 1906. It had a reported population of 10 in 1888, 100 in 1890, and 10 again in 1896. In 1890 Simonds had a gristmill and gin. In 1896–97 it had a general store and two schools. The school for white students employed one teacher and had an enrollment of eighty-one, and that for black students employed one teacher and had an enrollment of thirty-four. By 1904 the enrollment at the latter school had risen to eighty-one. From 1933 to 1947 the community stagnated, reporting only one business and a population that never rose over twenty-five. Simonds was annexed by Seagoville in 1947.
David S. Switzer, It's Our Dallas County (Dallas: Switzer, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "SIMONDS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs90), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.