STRIP, TEXAS. Strip was five miles east of the site of present Abernathy in south central Hale County, on a strip of public domain land 1½ miles wide and fifteen miles long located between railroad-controlled holdings. The community, founded in 1904, grew up around a rural school and a community church named Pearce Chapel, both established in 1902. A post office was granted on April 15, 1904, with Jerry M. Turner as first postmaster, and served the area until 1910. The school was discontinued in 1912. Pearce Chapel cemetery is located two miles north of the Lubbock county line.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "STRIP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvscm), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles