SHILOH, TX (TITUS COUNTY)
SHILOH, TEXAS (Titus County). Shiloh was on a bend in Ripley Creek eleven miles northwest of Mount Pleasant in northwestern Titus County. The village reached its peak sometime around the Civil War, when it had a church, a school, and a store. Its residents at that time included a doctor and a dentist. One of the community's schoolteachers was murdered in the late 1860s, and shortly thereafter the community began to decline. By 1900 it had disappeared. In 1964 the only thing left to mark the spot was the Shiloh Cemetery, which contained approximately twenty-five grave markers.
Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SHILOH, TX (TITUS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsec), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.